We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Registrations disabled

short notes for those not reading all the forums
the_fog

Registrations disabled

Postby the_fog » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:36 am

I'm sorry to tell you that we had to disable registrations again.

Some people keep coming back again and again under new names and VPNs to circument their bans. This itself is not really a problem, but some of them keep on using cheat codes for the sole purpose of ruining other peoples' games. Targets are especially new and unexperienced members. Videos about those actions were made and published just for the "fun" of it. I won't name the YT channel here.

We don't think that this server was build to give certain individuals a platform for their sick preferences. Unfortunately we don't know any other effective way to keep them out.

For the moment registrations have to be approved by an admin or moderator. That means interested new members need to have a referral from inside the community. Accounts without referral might be deleted without further notice.

One other note because of a recent post at capcom-unity:
We do not allow discussion about piracy here (and we never did, have a look at the wiki)!
There is no reason not to buy the original discs of the games, they're cheap nowadays and give you the good feeling of having an important piece of video game history in your hands ;)
Also, no server source code whatsoever was ever stolen, this is simply a lie. The server is based solely on packet captures from the good old days.

AssassinMan23

Re: Registrations disabled

Postby AssassinMan23 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:33 pm

It is a shame things can't be simple and easy just because of the actions of a select few. It is also making more unnecessary work for you and the other mods. As always, we appreciate your continued efforts at making the community a better place by keeping the riff raff out.
Mark main and Bob's Champion of the Multiverse

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:04 pm

Yes, I agree. It's a pity...
This is like in the old days of kindergarten. The kids in the sandbox play together in harmony, one starts to drive crazy and starts to destroy the sandcastles of the other kids. Those don't want to play with that kid anymore. And guess what? The excluded kid starts to pee in the sand just to destroy the fun for everyone. Okay, the other kids leave the sandbox and play with the jungle gym or the swing, but the excluded one lost everything, the friends and the sandbox. And the kindergarten worker has to clean the sand. Nice job :(
It's just an analogy, of course I am not implying that someone is acting like a kid or kindergarten worker here :D

AssassinMan23

Postby AssassinMan23 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:15 pm

Haha Right? I mean those guys were told they could play their way as long as other people knew what was up. Even then, they still go off the rails and screw other people over. Given multiple chances to redeem themselves after getting banned, and they squandered it with old habits. Call mods ignorant dictators despite the amount of leniency given to them. Haha I just don't get it man. How thick can a skull get? Oh well. I will just continue to sit back and enjoy this classic with the good people here, thanks to you guys of course.

HawkMoth

Postby HawkMoth » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:19 pm

Haha Right? I mean those guys were told they could play their way as long as other people knew what was up. Even then, they still go off the rails and screw other people over. Given multiple chances to redeem themselves after getting banned, and they squandered it with old habits. Call mods ignorant dictators despite the amount of leniency given to them. Haha I just don't get it man. How thick can a skull get? Oh well. I will just continue to sit back and enjoy this classic with the good people here, thanks to you guys of course.
I don't think stupidity plays into this most of the time. My little brother is a troll in real life and online and he's one of the smartest individuals I know of. :(
The mods here are by far the best, to be honest. They're sooo fun. I suffered on an RPG making site cause the mods were grumps and self-righteous. I stopped going to that site anymore cause they appointed a troll who hated me as a mod. That was final for me.
But I seriously do not get the purpose behind trolling. Can't they just try to live and let live?
Image Image

Herbivore

Postby Herbivore » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:12 pm

I appreciate all the hard work you put into this. This is still the only videogame I play so I pray everything remains all right. Why don't they make their own server if it's so bad.
-Vote Joel Clemens for City Council

"What a weird Customer... what are you doing?!" - Will, Bartender / Cook at J's Bar, In memorial

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Like I said to Silent the other day, closing registrations and making restrictions is really just giving them what they want. They want this server to be shut down, even if that means lying about stolen source code or saying we openly endorse piracy here. None of which is true. Anything that they can do to hinder the server, they'll do it. I understand that it is a huge thorn in your side, fog, to have these guys causing problems and disrespecting you. I get that. However, there's really no solution that can rid obsrv from these guys forever aside from closing registrations permenantly, a solution I would never want.

While having registrations closed keeps them out, it is only a temporary solution. They will keep coming back just like they have been for over a year now, sadly.
ID: MODDER | HN: StuntmanSnake | CHARACTER: RANDOM

AssassinMan23

Postby AssassinMan23 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:41 pm

Like I said to Silent the other day, closing registrations and making restrictions is really just giving them what they want. They want this server to be shut down, even if that means lying about stolen source code or saying we openly endorse piracy here. None of which is true. Anything that they can do to hinder the server, they'll do it. I understand that it is a huge thorn in your side, fog, to have these guys causing problems and disrespecting you. I get that. However, there's really no solution that can rid obsrv from these guys forever aside from closing registrations permenantly, a solution I would never want.

While having registrations closed keeps them out, it is only a temporary solution. They will keep coming back just like they have been for over a year now, sadly.
I agree with this. The day this ends, is the day those boys decide to grow up and move on. That day may never come. Although it will be difficult for the community to grow if these guys keep coming back just to harass the new people. Then again, Its kind of hard to get new people if you don't know someone from within the community so...........yeah. In between a rock and a hard place it seems

Meio

Postby Meio » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:31 pm

alinho

Postby alinho » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:52 pm

I'm still on the idea of cellphone confirmation for each account.
Make registrations limited to a website like Yahoo, that only allows people to create accounts with their cell phone numbers.
This is not the best choice, but it's sure to perform some sort of punishment on the infractors. Like, if they want to sign in, they have to buy new numbers.
PS2 FAT HDD Player

Herbivore

Postby Herbivore » Fri May 01, 2015 12:03 am

I read that they are emailing capcom every day, ah! They should email them EVERY HOUR ON THE DOT.
-Vote Joel Clemens for City Council

"What a weird Customer... what are you doing?!" - Will, Bartender / Cook at J's Bar, In memorial

ripperc100jr

Postby ripperc100jr » Fri May 01, 2015 4:25 am

Man, that stinks! Those guys are poopers for what they do, oh well, people just can't figure out a good way to pass the time

How would we go about referring people? Will you be making an application of some sort, or will we have to PM someone to get it made? Thanks for the info!

Kresnik

Postby Kresnik » Fri May 01, 2015 1:51 pm

This.

Mimi

Postby Mimi » Sat May 02, 2015 12:27 am

I appreciate all the hard work you put into this. This is still the only videogame I play so I pray everything remains all right.
I second this. Ever since I came got my stuff working, all I want to do is play Outbreak. I hope you guys can find a solution soon.

Also, how should we go about refering a player? Is forum PM preferable?

myabsolution

Postby myabsolution » Sat May 02, 2015 12:41 am

I appreciate all the hard work you put into this. This is still the only videogame I play so I pray everything remains all right.
I second this. Ever since I came got my stuff working, all I want to do is play Outbreak. I hope you guys can find a solution soon.

Also, how should we go about refering a player? Is forum PM preferable?
Forum PM to a server admin/moderator is preferred yes.
「ID: ADMIN3「Handle: Absolution「Platform: PS2 40GB HDD

Return to “News”