We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

A counter? A counter!

short notes for those not reading all the forums
asdfkeyboardman

Re: A counter? A counter!

Postby asdfkeyboardman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:24 am

Here's hoping that it's a release of the server software. The source may never be released to the public, but it would be nice to have the new server binaries so a LAN match is possible. As awesome as it is to be able to play multiplayer again, imagine how awesome it would be to play in an environment with almost no latency and where players can simply talk to each other in the same room rather than attempting to organize VoIP chat or resorting to the clunky contextual messages. The experience would be better than what was even possible before Capcom shut down the servers in the first place and would be a welcome option for those of us that are not near the server in Europe.

Dchaps

Postby Dchaps » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:21 am

Lan matches are already possible

Anzu

Postby Anzu » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:46 am

imagine how awesome it would be to play in an environment with almost no latency and where players can simply talk to each other in the same room rather than attempting to organize VoIP chat or resorting to the clunky contextual messages. The experience would be better than what was even possible.

I like the to play with the voice commands, it's part of the experience for me,
HN: Anzu

RE_Freak

Postby RE_Freak » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:06 am

Awesome, thanks for the xmas gift fog 8)
|ID: ZOMBIE | HN: RE_Freak | Platform: PS2 HDD FMCB + OPL Image[align=right]Praise Bob!Image[/align]

asdfkeyboardman

Postby asdfkeyboardman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Lan matches are already possible
How do I go about doing it? The game obviously doesn't have LAN support built in, so how do I set up a server for running a LAN game?

tool8

Postby tool8 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:58 pm

No LAN support, but your lan can connect to the server with no probs (no ip conflicts etc). Last weekend I had four PS2 connected simultaneous.

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Xmas is later ...
No LAN support, but your lan can connect to the server with no probs (no ip conflicts etc). Last weekend I had four PS2 connected simultaneous.
I can confirm this works (2 fat, 1 slim PS2).

RE_Freak

Postby RE_Freak » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Xmas is later ...
Obviously I know that lol, I was referring to the end your countdown, we will be enjoying the holiday season at the end of it. Convenient timing is all.
|ID: ZOMBIE | HN: RE_Freak | Platform: PS2 HDD FMCB + OPL Image[align=right]Praise Bob!Image[/align]

asdfkeyboardman

Postby asdfkeyboardman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Xmas is later ...
There was another thread about running multiple clients on a single local network (notably a discussion about using modified Dev9 plugins in PCSX2 to have different MAC addresses for each instance if you are going the emulation route).

The question is whether or not it is possible to have all network traffic be limited to a LAN so that the game can be played with practically no latency or packet loss. This is particularly important if traffic is routed through your server. I suspect that to be the case since server restarts interrupt gameplay, but I may be wrong to presume that. If it is the case, that means if I have a LAN party in the US, all four players would have to deal with round trip latency from Europe.

Now that I think of it, there would also be the additional benefit of still having a way to play the game multiplayer if the project is served a C&D notice. It wouldn't be online, but at least it would be possible to play it. Again, this isn't an appeal for it to be open source. I can accept that you have good reasons not to do so. It would be nice, though, to have the binaries so that people can set up local games for performance reasons and as a backup plan in case your WAN server goes down. Hopefully the server will stay up forever, but it would hurt even worse than when the servers went down if the revived server also went down. :)

Mackenzie

Postby Mackenzie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:58 pm

Just to get your attention :D

Count me down!

So, what does that counter mean? I am sure you can find out. I won't tell you what happens on 0,0,0,0 but feel free to speculate :-P
Omg i love surprises. I know what it means, i've already seen the meaning on some thread before.

I love the background, it looks as if capcom made the counter themselves. =)

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:38 pm

I know what it means, i've already seen the meaning on some thread before.
I don't believe I've written bout the surpeise yet :D

asdfkeyboardman

Postby asdfkeyboardman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:19 pm

I know what it means, i've already seen the meaning on some thread before.
I don't believe I've written bout the surpeise yet :D
From "Biohazard Oubreak Server"...
Would be great to have something for the 10th birthday of Outbreak on th 11th of December 2013, wouldn\'t it ?
My other posts on this thread were just hopeful suggestions more than anything. I'd be surprised if it didn't turn out to be a planned milestone for the File 2 server, considering it is obviously counting down to that date. Thus, if that is not the case, you will have succeeded in surprising me. Not that I wouldn't be happy if I turn out to be right, though!

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Ah, now I understand. But that thread had a different context. Anyway, I read lots of good suggestions here. Maybe I should've made the thread before my decision for a present ... ;)

GhostMissile

Postby GhostMissile » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Kinda scared, not gonna lie...Here's To hoping the Countdown is to The File 2 Server being finalized/Open to the Pub again(takes a shot)...One can only Hope :-P,,,Or it could be a Jerk Jump scare :twisted:

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:35 pm

Xmas is later ...
There was another thread about running multiple clients on a single local network (notably a discussion about using modified Dev9 plugins in PCSX2 to have different MAC addresses for each instance if you are going the emulation route).

The question is whether or not it is possible to have all network traffic be limited to a LAN so that the game can be played with practically no latency or packet loss. This is particularly important if traffic is routed through your server. I suspect that to be the case since server restarts interrupt gameplay, but I may be wrong to presume that. If it is the case, that means if I have a LAN party in the US, all four players would have to deal with round trip latency from Europe.

Now that I think of it, there would also be the additional benefit of still having a way to play the game multiplayer if the project is served a C&D notice. It wouldn't be online, but at least it would be possible to play it. Again, this isn't an appeal for it to be open source. I can accept that you have good reasons not to do so. It would be nice, though, to have the binaries so that people can set up local games for performance reasons and as a backup plan in case your WAN server goes down. Hopefully the server will stay up forever, but it would hurt even worse than when the servers went down if the revived server also went down. :)
You will not be able to restrict traffic to your local LAN, since we will not be releasing binaries or source code.

Return to “News”