We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Biohazard Outbreak File#1 is back online

short notes for those not reading all the forums
Aribokill

Re: Biohazard Outbreak File#1 is back online

Postby Aribokill » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:02 pm

This was a great year for several projects. 8)

SaveMGO got a new server, Project M released version 3.0 including all characters, and we got 2 new servers for both Outbreaks.

2013 was a great year.
Another little known revival was the scene for Marvel vs Capcom 2 which was long dead in the shadow of Marvel vs Capcom 3. We had our first Marvel vs Capcom 2 major tournament in NYC and it's promoted more around the country.

Looks like the community has to do the work that Capcom should have been doing long ago.......

Kudos to all those on hand to make these changes happen!
Personal Growth & Health and Fitness | Stick Shift Driving Lessons

“To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.”
-Bruce Lee

camjam

Postby camjam » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:34 pm

will it be possible that the NTSC-UC versions will be supported at a later date?
Short:
I am nearly 100% sure that this will not happen.

Medium:
Give me packet captures for those games, the original server software, a good documentation about the used SN@P version or captures from other PS2 SN@P games and I might be able to make it possible.

Long:
The two Biohazard Outbreak servers took a lot of time to create. And to be honest, even with the packet captures it was quite hard to figure everything out. Without them I am sure we would have given up a long time ago. The problem is that the used middleware is very different between the NTSC-J and the NTSC-U version of the game. They used SN@P instead of KDDI and as far as I know nobody has the packet captures for the NTSC-U games (not even for any other SN@P based game). My only option would be to reverse engineer the game executable and guess the packet structure, the inner workings of the client and what the server would have to send to make the client work correctly. This is a task that takes months if you're doing it fulltime and if you have the proper software. I lack of both (time and software). So unless someone comes and pays my bills for a half year or so, buys the needed software and has very good arguments why another Outbreak server should be created, the chances of a comeback for Outbreak NTSC-U online are slim to zero. I mean, really, the only reason to create a REOB NTSC-U server would be to show that it's possible. The different language is not argument enough.
Thanks for clearing that up. Did you ever contact any other server revivals that used Snap? Perhaps you can use packet captures and just expand on it for outbreak yourself.
Eitherway, what you guys did just proved that capcom was lying out their asses. The games CAN be revived, despite what they said. IMPOSSIBRU!!!

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Did you ever contact any other server revivals that used Snap? Perhaps you can use packet captures and just expand on it for outbreak yourself.
I would contact them instantly. But (to my knowledge) there are no snap based project :( At least I haven't found any...

camjam

Postby camjam » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:22 am

Did you ever contact any other server revivals that used Snap? Perhaps you can use packet captures and just expand on it for outbreak yourself.
I would contact them instantly. But (to my knowledge) there are no snap based project :( At least I haven't found any...
Wasn't Phantasy Star Online built with Snap code for its online portion?

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:19 am

Wasn't Phantasy Star Online built with Snap code for its online portion?
That's right, almost every Dreamcast online game used SN@P. And I had a look at the source code of a PSO server and tried to adopt the protocol for Outbreak -> no luck :( I think that the cause is the different platform and PSO never came out for PS2.

shayoko

Postby shayoko » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:36 pm

i love Mr fog :( hes such a cool guy doing this : ( he made peoples dreams come true and got little in return :(
something a entire corporation(capcom) with millions and millions of dollars refused to do...this guy did it in his spar time...
seriously...if i had more hours at work id want to donate money to this person so i could repay some of the happiness i was given :(
thank you Mr fog :)

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:02 am

he made peoples dreams come true and got little in return
I don't see it this way.
This is a hobby, I like bringing dead things back to live because it's challenging and fun. Video games aren't my only passion in this context.

Hunk_4TH

Postby Hunk_4TH » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:26 am

Too bad you can't bring some Dreamcast stuff back online like Shenmue's 4th disc. I can't get online on my Dc anyway so it's no biggie lol.

Dchaps

Postby Dchaps » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:15 am

he made peoples dreams come true and got little in return
I don't see it this way.
This is a hobby, I like bringing dead things back to live because it's challenging and fun. Video games aren't my only passion in this context.

are u jesus?

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:31 am

Too bad you can't bring some Dreamcast stuff back online like Shenmue's 4th disc. I can't get online on my Dc anyway so it's no biggie lol.
Same here. I lack of a broadband adapter and for using the old modem with a broadband line I have to setup additional hardware.
are u jesus?
Lemme see. I can't walk over water, cannot heal the sick and I am not able to feed thousands. Well, I can safely assume that I am not Jesus. Also I really suck at bringing back organic things back to live. At least it didn't work with the pet of my son :))

TrueLolzor

Postby TrueLolzor » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:42 pm

are u jesus?
Lemme see. I can't walk over water, cannot heal the sick and I am not able to feed thousands. Well, I can safely assume that I am not Jesus. Also I really suck at bringing back organic things back to live. At least it didn't work with the pet of my son :))
Ur da Cybernetic Jesus. U revived dead Outbreak servers. You fed thousands with fun and enjoyment of playing it online. You healed the sick from modern resident evil franchise installments. You walked over the metaphorical water of all those problems that stood between you and bringing the servers up again.

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Ur da Cybernetic Jesus. U revived dead Outbreak servers. You fed thousands with fun and enjoyment of playing it online. You healed the sick from modern resident evil franchise installments. You walked over the metaphorical water of all those problems that stood between you and bringing the servers up again.
Lol, thank you very much :D
Then let's just hope I won't be cruzified ... I somehow disbelieve that the god of cyberpunks will revive me if that happens :'(

VirusPunk

Postby VirusPunk » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:26 am

Honestly though, does it really matter that Fog won't be able to bring the US SN@P servers back online? If reading the Japanese text is an issue just use a translation patch, I don't see any real reason to worry about SN@P..

TrueLolzor

Postby TrueLolzor » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:59 am

I don't think separating even now small community would be healthy.

PholxBR

Postby PholxBR » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:18 pm

but i need the japanese version?

Return to “News”