We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Greetings

The place for new forum members to introduce themselves.
okita

Greetings

Postby okita » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi all,

New player here, never played Outbreak before, and sad I missed the chance, hopefully I'll get another one :)

I'd volunteer with beta testing, but it sounds like you aren't accepting any more testers for the moment. What I am interested in is the tools you're using to examine/patch the binary itself (IDA/random PS2 dissassember)? I ask because I'm also interested in taking a look at the RE: Outbreak NTSC and it sounds terrible reading/writing MIPS entirely by hand :D

I assume you just use Wireshark to get .pcaps, but any tips on what you like to use for debugging? Do you look through PCSX2 memory dumps at key moments? Also, how does the login process for SN@P differ? I'd love to learn your methods for finding this stuff for the JP version so eventually the NTSC version can get caught up. I assume that once the console is logged in, they both speak a similar protocol for the lobby/gameplay, etc.

Would appreciate any advice you can give!

the_fog

Re: Greetings

Postby the_fog » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:20 pm

Welcome to the board, okita.

Well, beta testing is kind of "open" at the moment, I am stress testing the server. So as long as you don't have a problem that all your communication from and to the server is logged for debugging purposes and you can live with sudden crashes, annoying bugs and such, feel free to try it out. Make sure you read the disclaimer on th e login page though!

I can't speak for others but when I started looking into the PAL version (my patch orgy :D) I used the famous ps2dis, lots of memory dumps from the emulator at key moments, a modified selfcompiled pcsx2 that allows tracedumps at certain times and a crappy selfwritten tracedebugger for MIPS (also based on pcsx2 code). This all got obsolete when I got my hands on the packet captures of the original jpn server game sessions (thanks Isles487!). I think IDA would be a giant plus, but it is simply not affordable and I don't support piracy...

Would be nice to have someone here to dig into the other versions, I'll come back to those when time allows. I share the feeling that the basic protocol migh not be that different but currently I have no proof of my theory.

okita

Postby okita » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:36 pm

So far I only have Outbreak 1 and 2 NTSC, still waiting on the JPN imports to arrive, I guess I'll sign up for the beta then.

I'm still reading around all the threads in the board, so forgive me if I don't fully understand the state of the project quite yet. So far, the server is designed to work for Biohazard Outbreak File 2, correct? I'd think that File 1 would be more similar protocol-wise in terms of login than RE:O unless something drastic changed? Does Isles487 have packet captures for both games, or just the second one? I'm messing with ps2dis right now, the modified PCSX2 (is it this one?) and I have a legitimate copy of IDA I'll try to use with the PS2 ELF parsing scripts that around the net. I also have to dust off my MIPS, it's more than a little rusty :~

Basically, I'd love to prove the theory, is there a description somewhere of what the File 2 protocol/login sequence looks like? Have you guys run File 1 against the beta at all, or does it still need some patching?

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:31 pm

I have a legitimate copy of IDA I'll try to use with the PS2 ELF parsing scripts that around the net.
Always good to call a 800 bucks tool your own :D

There is no documentation about the RE Outbreak SNAP handshaking mechanism I know of. What I know about it is spreaded over the threads dealing with the PAL version. Basically we have to find out everything :))

Indeed, the packets from Biohazard File#1 look very similar, identical in most cases to those of File#2. But we haven't tested the game against the server yet. No need to rush.

Return to “Introduction”