The Comprehensive Outbreak Server FAQ (Updated 1/5/14)

The place for new forum members to introduce themselves.

Postby Isles487 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Last Updated 5/30/14: The FAQ has been moved to the wiki.

We realize that perusing months worth of topics in order to find the answers to particular questions can be frustrating. Below are answers to the most common questions.

What is this project?

This is an effort to create a functional server for the Biohazard Outbreak games.

Which versions of the game does the server support?

Both of the NTSC/J (Japanese) Outbreak games are supported.

Although we hope that we will be able to create servers that will work with the NTSC/U and PAL versions of the game, we do not have packet captures for those versions. The NTSC/U and PAL versions used the SNAP service, while Japanese versions used KDDI. Reverse engineering a server without packet captures is extremely difficult and time consuming.

Keep in mind that the PAL version of Resident Evil Outbreak File 1 did not feature online multiplayer and there is nothing we can do about this.

What is the status of the server?

We have functional online lobbies and games. Recently, we added support for different game modes in File 2 (such as boys only, girls only, and nightmare).

Outbreak File 1 originally featured two online modes. "West town" mode allows users to create and join games as in File 2. This mode is completely functional. "East town" or "downtown" mode paired random users together. Once the users completed a level, it would automatically advance those players to the next level so that users could play through the levels sequentially without returning to the lobby. This mode is not functional, and we do not have packet captures for it.

Can I play?

Yes! Your user name and password are linked to your forum account. Create a forum account, and use those details to log in to the game server.

Using the in-game network set-up menu, set your first DNS server to "81.7.10.214." If you need help setting up your network settings on an emulator, see below for a link to emulator set-up guides.

I can't log in! I am entering my username and password details exactly as they are on the forum.

Make sure that your router or modem is not altering packets. You may be behind a proxy or a part of some other configuration that does not pass packets through unaltered. Try connecting your device directly to the internet and bypass your router.

Are there any rules?

Please see the Gameplay Rules thread. We want players to cooperate with each other. Keep in mind that we will be establishing at least one area (with friendly fire mode activated!) where players may do whatever they desire, with the exception of using cheats.

What will I need to access the server?

You will need a PlayStation 2 that is capable of playing Japanese region games and Japanese region copies of the Outbreak games that you would like to play. If you have a "fat" model PS2, you will also need a broadband adapter. Bear in mind that you will need to pass the DNAS check. You can search for ways to bypass the DNAS check, but we will not discuss that here. Users can utilize emulators to connect to the server, but see below for an account of some emulator issues.

PS2 "fat" users should consider using a hard drive and a program like HD Loader in order to significantly decrease load times.

Can I play with an emulator?

Yes, but keep in mind that emulator users experience freezes and other problems. Results are completely inconsistent. Some users will experience no problems for days and suddenly be victim to multiple freezes, while other users cannot finish a game.

When you freeze in an online game, you are not the only one that will experience problems. We do not know the cause, but sometimes, emulator user freezes cause simultaneous freezes for PlayStation 2 users and other emulator users. Even if the other users do not freeze, you have left your teammates down a player.

This the experience of most emulator users. Do not announce "I have not had any freezes yet!" There are plenty of testers that have logged many more hours. We do not have a solution at the moment. We suggest that you play with a PlayStation 2.

For help setting up an emulator, and some tips and tricks, look at these threads:

Blind Config Setup
Known Emulator Bugs & Issues

Can more than one user play on the same network?

Yes, this will work absolutely fine. Multiple PlayStation 2's can connect to the server from within the same network.

A slight modification is necessary for emulator users that operate the Dev9 plugin in switched mode. The Dev9 plugin is hard coded to use the same MAC address, regardless of computer. This creates routing problems. Modifying the MAC address used in the Dev9 plugin solves this.

For more information, check out Gandi's post regarding the issue.

Can I download the game?

We will not tolerate piracy discussion here. Nor is there an excuse not to purchase a legitimate copy. Do not attempt to post ISO links.

Should I stay up to date by perusing a Steam group or some other forum?

No. This is the best source for information and news about the server.

I am new! What should I be aware of?

Do not join Very Hard games. You will only annoy veteran players and you will not learn how to play at higher difficulties. Find other new users and play at either the easy or normal difficulty settings until you are able to contribute at higher difficulties.

In order to discern the difficulty of a game, press R1 at the character select screen.

I will update this FAQ as needed. Feel free to suggest additions.
Isles487

Postby GhostMissile » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks For this...Pretty Informative...I liked the part about VH games 8)
GhostMissile

Postby Isles487 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:38 pm

GhostMissile wrote:Thanks For this...Pretty Informative...I liked the part about VH games 8)

No problem! I speak from experience. I probably annoyed a few players when I first hopped into Outbreak and knew nothing. But I had a great time once I started on easy/normal and worked my way up. You'll learn the ins and outs of the levels, the strategies, and the characters that way. By the time you're ready to play on VH, you'll be able to contribute to the team and it will be an exhilarating experience.
Isles487

Postby TrueLolzor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:49 pm

I was surprised new players even allowed into the hard/very hard modes. I thought network is tied to a single player and if you hand't unlocked a difficulty - you can't play it online. I've never been so wrong.
TrueLolzor

Postby XWeskerLeonX » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:54 pm

thanks for the information!
ID Resident Evil Outbreak Server: XWeskerX

XWeskerLeonX

Postby LynchyGod » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Isles487 wrote:Do not join Very Hard games. You will only annoy veteran players and you will not learn how to play at higher difficulties. Find other new users and play at either the easy or normal difficulty settings until you are able to contribute at higher difficulties.

In order to discern the difficulty of a game, press R1 at the character select screen.

Thank you so much for posting this part. As fun as it it is to help new players when I host normal games, I really
don't like having to disband my rooms when people with less than hour of play or 25% survival rate join on VH...

@TrueLolzor, new players can play any difficulties and even host any difficulty. All they can't do is host the levels they haven't unlocked yet.
LynchyGod

Postby Isles487 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:59 pm

LynchyGod wrote:
Isles487 wrote:Do not join Very Hard games. You will only annoy veteran players and you will not learn how to play at higher difficulties. Find other new users and play at either the easy or normal difficulty settings until you are able to contribute at higher difficulties.

Thank you so much for posting this part. As fun as it it is to help new players when I host normal games, I really
don't like having to disband my rooms when people with less than hour of play or 25% survival rate join on VH...

@TrueLolzor, new players can play any difficulties and even host any difficulty. All they can't do is host the levels they haven't unlocked yet.

Exactly. It's not that veteran players are trying to be "exclusive," it's just that a new player will be overwhelmed and will cause problems on higher difficulty levels. Unless you have a USB keyboard, it's hard to convey these concerns when someone joins.
Isles487

Postby TrueLolzor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:19 pm

LynchyGod wrote:@TrueLolzor, new players can play any difficulties and even host any difficulty. All they can't do is host the levels they haven't unlocked yet.
Yeah, I know. Thats was kinda the point of my post.
TrueLolzor

Postby Edihnori » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Out of curiosity, what previously unknown major bugs emerged from the open beta? Is it the events list not synching properly or did other oddities pop up with the server under heavy load ?
Edihnori

Postby Isles487 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Edihnori wrote:Out of curiosity, what previously unknown major bugs emerged from the open beta? Is it the events list not synching properly or did other oddities pop up with the server under heavy load ?

At this point, mostly related to the server crashing under heavy load. The event list is actually complete- as in we don't think there's anything else we can do to improve it- the times when the event lists don't come through are much rarer than before and we are completely emulating the original server behavior.
Isles487

Postby Hiroshirou » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:18 am

Could we get some details on the spec of the server used to host the game?
HNid: bald
Main: PS2 SCPH-30001 with 500gb 7200rpm Seagate FMCB + HDLoader .8c
Backup: PS2 SCPH-50003 with 40gb FFXI HDD + FMBC + HDLoader .8c

3570k@4.5ghz 1.21v / 8GB DDR3 / 7950 3GBDDR5
Hiroshirou

Postby the_fog » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:55 pm

I updated the FAQ (DNAS and ID registration).
difficult but not impossible...
HN: fog
2x PS2 fat, HDD, ethernet
1x PS2 slim, disc only toploader, ethernet
unaltered original discs
the_fog

Postby Gandi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:07 am

Since my post regarding the DEV9 mac problem is being linked in the FAQ (a post I'm incapable of editing) I'd like to add on that regard the edited versions of the DEV9giga_razi.dll: http://puu.sh/4Q6nM
I'm still not exactly sure what the difference between this and DEV9ghzdrk.dll are, but in case anyone experiences less freezes with this one I thought it should be worth mentioning at least.
Gandi

Postby the_fog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:35 am

Gandi wrote:Since my post regarding the DEV9 mac problem is being linked in the FAQ (a post I'm incapable of editing) I'd like to add on that regard the edited versions of the DEV9giga_razi.dll: http://puu.sh/4Q6nM
I'm still not exactly sure what the difference between this and DEV9ghzdrk.dll are, but in case anyone experiences less freezes with this one I thought it should be worth mentioning at least.

I added the link to your original post.
difficult but not impossible...
HN: fog
2x PS2 fat, HDD, ethernet
1x PS2 slim, disc only toploader, ethernet
unaltered original discs
the_fog

Postby Gandi » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:07 am

Thank you! :)
Gandi

Next

Return to Introduction