We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Hello Everyone

The place for new forum members to introduce themselves.
slicemin998

Hello Everyone

Postby slicemin998 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:27 am

Been stalking these forums for about a month now and just signed up a few days ago to check everything out. I'm still in disbelief someone actually got the servers back up. I had that dream lifted up and crushed a lot over the last 6 or so years.

I played Outbreak several hundred hours online and that was just in game time not even including lobby time which probably triples that hah. I was also one of the last 5 or 6 people to ever be on File 2 before the server froze due to scheduled maintenance, I got like 3 hours of sleep that night and I kept myself from getting logged out by putting a rubber band around the analog sticks so the game would think I was still there haha, oh good times. Not that any of that matters of course it's all just dork nonsense now. Still I'm glad to be here. I tried reading over the stuff I would need to do to get my ps2 back onto Outbreak and I'm still a bit confused, could I simply use swap magic and put in a Japanese File 2 disk and that would be enough or is there more to it? I've read through all the threads but just get more confused as I go it seems.

Hopefully someday you guys can get the NA servers back up, I understand that has some issues though.

the_fog

Re: Hello Everyone

Postby the_fog » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:11 am

Welcome to the board, slicemin ;)
Hopefully someday you guys can get the NA servers back up, I understand that has some issues though.
This is multiple times harder than the NTSC-J version. When time allows I'll do my very best because I want to use my PAL version, too.

slicemin998

Postby slicemin998 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Welcome to the board, slicemin ;)
This is multiple times harder than the NTSC-J version. When time allows I'll do my very best because I want to use my PAL version, too.

Yeah I've heard that it would be, something about nobody capturing packets and reverse engineering, all sounds a bit intimidating to me. Well good luck with it I'll be rooting for you the whole way. Whenever you manage to get the NA servers back up I'm still in contact with a pretty decent amount of people from the old days I used to play Outbreak with so I'll get you plenty of new beta testers whenever you can get it up and running.

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:27 pm

Now that more and more people know about this place I have hopes that someday someone will drop in and say "I might have the needed packets to bring Resident Evil Outbreak back!". Well, that would push the project just like Isles' captures for Biohazard Outbreak.

slicemin998

Postby slicemin998 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Since Outbreak went down I've been on basically every crusade to bring back the servers or watching the crusades at any rate. Seemed like nobody did sadly. Most people frantically captured the Japanese ones. Would it be possible to use another game hosted by SNAPS packets in some capacity?

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:14 pm

I don't know. Are there any revived SNAP games or captures of them ?

slicemin998

Postby slicemin998 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:32 am

Well the thing is is that SNAP never really went away completely the tech was sold to Nokia in 2003. However SNAP also kept going till it got out of the business in 2007? It's all a bit confusing. Like the Ngage games still have that same online tech because it is the same thing that Outbreak used for its online. So maybe those old mobile games could help? If you could find some old games NGAGE games that are still online could you use that at all or would it be totally different because it is a mobile game as opposed to a Playstation one? I would assume perhaps not since its the same tech but this isn't my area of expertise. This is beyond what I know so forgive my ignorance if this just sounds like an idiots ramble.

As far as PS2 games that used SNAP that are revived I couldn't find a list of games that actually ran on SNAP so I can't exactly go hunting for revival projects without a list to start from.

Leny

Postby Leny » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:52 am

I have a gut feeling it will never happen. I heard back in 2008 that someone had packets in a secret forum that I long lost track off. You have a higher chance of playing on the Japanese Servers than you playing the NA servers... Don't put yourself in a sinkhole..

slicemin998

Postby slicemin998 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:32 pm

So I guess the old mobile phone Ngage games are a no go judging by the lack of response. I'm still trying to figure out how to play the japanese servers. A japense ps2 is to expensive. Everywhere I look they are very expensive for some reason. I guess its a bit more complicated to get on then just using swap magic and a japense copy of file 2.

Dchaps

Postby Dchaps » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:50 pm

So I guess the old mobile phone Ngage games are a no go judging by the lack of response. I'm still trying to figure out how to play the japanese servers. A japense ps2 is to expensive. Everywhere I look they are very expensive for some reason. I guess its a bit more complicated to get on then just using swap magic and a japense copy of file 2.
the easiest route would be get a japanese ps2 and japanese copy of the game

you can also use american ps2 with swap magic, (if slim)
if its a american fat ps2 you can use an Old IDE hard drive to do the HDD exploit
which is actually fairly easy if you have the stuff required

i think the HD method is abit more complicated then compared to just buying a japanese ps2 + jap game and popping it in the drive lol
you have alot of options

slicemin998

Postby slicemin998 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:18 pm

if its a american fat ps2 you can use an Old IDE hard drive to do the HDD exploit

i think the HD method is abit more complicated then compared to just buying a japanese ps2 + jap game and popping it in the drive lol
you have alot of options
So since I have an old fat PS2 with the adapter I just need to hook in an old hard drive somehow which I have no clue how to do to make it work? I assume I still need swap magic yea?

Anomaladox

Postby Anomaladox » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:42 pm

you have alot of options
So since I have an old fat PS2 with the adapter I just need to hook in an old hard drive somehow which I have no clue how to do to make it work? I assume I still need swap magic yea?
Nope, with the hard drive you would be able to rip your Biohazard: Outbreak File #2 NTSC-J to your HD inside the PS2 no SWAP MAGIC required.

slicemin998

Postby slicemin998 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Do you happen to have an idiots guide to doing that?

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:16 pm

I'd say every online game from Capcom for PS2 used SNAP. There's Monster Hunter coming to my mind. I think that game has a much bigger fanbase than Outbreak, perhaps they captured some packets ?

slicemin998

Postby slicemin998 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:00 pm

I'd say every online game from Capcom for PS2 used SNAP. There's Monster Hunter coming to my mind. I think that game has a much bigger fanbase than Outbreak, perhaps they captured some packets ?

Well in scanning the web I did manage to find a couple things of interest.

I found out about a game I never heard of while digging around called Auto Modellista for PS2,gamcube and xbox that was apparently a capcom game. Seems some people made a private server for it way back and are currently crowd funding to keep the server up. It was a game hosted by SNAP(But again two other systems as well). You do need an account on the site to actually be able to see the page fully but you may find some help there friend. Of course the fact that the site is xbox360 would imply its probably an xbox server... Long shot but who knows.

http://www.xbox360iso.com/auto-modellis ... 60065eabbe&

I also found some dreamcast games that were hosted by SNAP and are currently revived. The link to the site with the games is in the OP of that thread.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/monster_hun ... lay-online

For the life of me I couldn't find anything else. Monster Hunter doesn't seem to have a revival. Perhaps because it already has new online games not enough people care?

Hope this is of some help.

Return to “Introduction”