We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

The Outbreak servers are open source.

short notes for those not reading all the forums
the_fog

Re: Plans to go open source

Postby the_fog » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:58 pm

Quick question: Will there be any documentation detailing how to connect phpbb users to the server? ;)
No. It’s a community edition which lacks of administrative tools and phpbb, telegram or discord integration.

Ji29

Postby Ji29 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:37 pm

@the_fog

I have so much respect for you the_fog!

The work you put in to get this working and now to release it into the wild is absolutely mind blowing!

A lot of developers disappear into the shadows, either losing the source code or hiding it for selfish reasons (RE 1.5 Anyone?)

I'm so thankful for your work!
You've reignited an old community of friends of mine who play on a varying basis (work permitting)

I dont think i'd ever turn my back on Obsrv but I surely am looking forward to scoping out a stripped down version of my own server. Mainly to test modifications with my brother!!

You sir, are a legend!!
Many thanks!

Ji29

Postby Ji29 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:41 pm

@the_fog

How are the developments going?
IS there any plans to incorporate the DNAS server within this stripped down version or will this need to run side by side with your DNAS repo. I current have OpenSSL & Apache servers ready & waiting.

This is the kind of thing my racks have been waiting for. 13 x DL360 G6's!!

Looking forward to the release!

Cheers
Joseph

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:44 pm

Just in case someone wondered... source code moved today from github to gitlab. There’s only one reason: having all my repos (private and public) at a central place.

Ji29

Postby Ji29 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:01 am

@the_fog

Could you provide a link please?

Cheers!

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:55 pm

hill73n

Postby hill73n » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:14 am

Interesting...Many thanks for sharing!!

P.S. Love the Chief Aramaki avatar pic...Big fan of GITS anime ;)

refan988

Postby refan988 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:12 am

@the_fog

I was wondering, could the server be run within a VirtualBox Virtual Machine, or do you need a Raspberry Pi to run everything?

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:49 pm

@the_fog

I was wondering, could the server be run within a VirtualBox Virtual Machine, or do you need a Raspberry Pi to run everything?
The game and lobby server is java, so it will run on anything that can run a JRE - which includes most all OSs - it also needs to connect to a mysql server- again pretty widely available. If you're going to roll your own DNAS server, you'll need to make sure whatever web server you're going to use can serve SSL with the weak ciphers as described in the PDF document.

So the (simplified list) of things you're going to need to make sure you can run:

JRE
web server with php-mysql (with weak ssl ciphers if you are planning on serving DNAS)
mysql server

Linux or another type of OS in a VM can do the job just as well as on bare hardware if you choose to go that route.

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:27 am

You also need to create self signed certificates for the web frontend. Or you choose to use the certificate chain from DNASrep (suggested).

refan988

Postby refan988 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:15 am

I got everything working except the last step where you run the server. The commands don't make sense as there is no /dist folder in either the file1 or file2 server files or a .jar file on github.

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:18 am

You'll need to compile it. Below is an example with bioserver1. Keep in mind you can rename these folders or set up your directory structure differently, or run the program from a different location, but for example purposes use my suggestions. All commands below should be run from the Bioserver1-master folder.

In order to compile/run you'll need to download the mysql connector library. Extract mysql-connector-java-5.1.48-bin.jar to a new folder named "lib". The compiler is going to spit out compiled .class files - you'll typically want to put the compiled files in a separate folder, so I'd make a "bin" folder.

But wait! There's more. The server is going to expect the config.properties file to be present. So if you want to follow my example, take that file out of the bioserver folder and move it one directory above, to the Bioserver1-master directory. Edit it to fit your setup. At this point, "ls" should give you something like:

Code: Select all

Biohazard Outbreak private server.pdf LICENSE.txt bin bioserver config.properties database lib www
Example javac command if run from the Bioserver1-master folder, assuming you used my examples above:

javac -d bin -cp lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.48-bin.jar bioserver/*.java
Now from the same folder, test your compiled server files with:

java -cp lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.48-bin.jar:bin bioserver.ServerMain

refan988

Postby refan988 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:09 am

Thanks for that info. I was able to compile and run both servers. The only issue I have is I'm stuck at the main login screen. Whether I try to make a new user name or type in an existing one, I keep getting that error in Japanese that says "A communication error occurred. Please reconnect once more."

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:52 am

Thanks for that info. I was able to compile and run both servers. The only issue I have is I'm stuck at the main login screen. Whether I try to make a new user name or type in an existing one, I keep getting that error in Japanese that says "A communication error occurred. Please reconnect once more."
Possibly a problem with mysql. Did you run the sql script to make sure you've initialized the database? Have you made sure the properties file contains the correct username and password to connect to sql?

If you've done that, please run

systemctl status mysql

and

sudo ss -nltp | grep mysql

refan988

Postby refan988 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:09 am

Possibly a problem with mysql. Did you run the sql script to make sure you've initialized the database? Have you made sure the properties file contains the correct username and password to connect to sql?

If you've done that, please run

systemctl status mysql

and

sudo ss -nltp | grep mysql
I've triple checked the username and password in the config file and it's good. I'm assuming the server IP address has to be exactly the same as the virtual machine's IP address. I just can't get past the login page.

Return to “News”